Preparing Your Tire/Tyres & Wheels for Winter – Installation 1 of 3
Preparing Your Wheels for Winter – Installation 1 of 3 Test
Your Tire Tread
• One of the first ways to tell if your tires are ready for winter roads is to check the wear on the tread.
• If your wheels are correctly aligned & you have rotated your tires regularly, the tread should be worn evenly on both sides. If not, this could be a sign that your wheels are out of alignment and need adjusting before the big freeze hits.
• Uneven or excessive tread wearing can cause major problems during the winter months, as roads get slicker and your tires require more grip to brake and accelerate.
This is a good video from Tire Rack:
• Take the ‘penny test’:
- Hold a penny between your thumb and forefinger so that Lincoln’s head is showing.
- Place the top of Lincoln’s head into one of the grooves of the tire’s tread.
- If any part of Lincoln’s head is obscured by the tread, you have a safe amount of tread.
- If you can see above Lincoln’s head, then you need a new tire.
Join us next week for part 2 and make sure you keep up with your 6-week measurement checks with your QuickTrick™ Alignment Products. Have a great Week!